At the Feet of the King
Welcome!

Thank you for your interest in joining the forum!

If you decide to register, there's just one simple thing we ask you to do before posting.

After your account has been activated, please visit the "Regarding the Forum" section and answer the form in the "Membership questions - please answer first" thread. You may either message your answers to the Admin or post them in the thread.

Once your answers are received, they will be reviewed by the Moderators. Please be a little patient with them because they live in several time zones, so it could take up to 24 hours. You will then receive a PM informing you of the decision.

Please refrain from making any posts in other sections of the forum until you have done this, otherwise we will have to count this as a first violation.

Any questions about this, please feel free to contact a member of the mod team.

Thank you!
At the Feet of the King
Welcome!

Thank you for your interest in joining the forum!

If you decide to register, there's just one simple thing we ask you to do before posting.

After your account has been activated, please visit the "Regarding the Forum" section and answer the form in the "Membership questions - please answer first" thread. You may either message your answers to the Admin or post them in the thread.

Once your answers are received, they will be reviewed by the Moderators. Please be a little patient with them because they live in several time zones, so it could take up to 24 hours. You will then receive a PM informing you of the decision.

Please refrain from making any posts in other sections of the forum until you have done this, otherwise we will have to count this as a first violation.

Any questions about this, please feel free to contact a member of the mod team.

Thank you!
At the Feet of the King
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We love Him because He first loved us; we serve Him because He first served us.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So Many Categories

Go down 
+5
Rachel
Larissa
krista
Elisabeth
Lady Abigail
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Abigail

Lady Abigail

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-11-05

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm

While I'm in a rock-the-boat mood.....why in the world do we have SO MANY sub-categories? I'm on another forum with 7 main categories (including members only sections for silliness and complaints) and 10 sub-categories all servicing over 5000 very divers members. Here we have 7 main categories and TWENTY-FIVE sub-categories! Whatever for? Some of them are so similar as to almost be redundant. It's confusing to have so many different subjects to try to figure out what to post where and it bugs a perfectionist like me with all the "clutter". Razz Anyway, just my thoughts. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ladyabigail90.blogspot.com
Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Number of posts : 6676
Registration date : 2008-09-24

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 am

I've thought the same thing sometimes...I always have preferred forums with very few categories. Like on E&L, we had 3 for a long time, and then 4. This makes it far easier to check for posts and keep up on things, in my opinion. It creates greater organization this way, one might say, but it makes it "bulkier"...and I am a fan of slick, simple things, myself. Wink
Back to top Go down

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:05 am

*checks calendar* Teaching, family, writing, volleyball, youth group, Sunday school, service projects...

I am all open for suggestions, but there is no way I have time to sit down and remodel this thing all on my own brain power.
Back to top Go down
krista

krista

Number of posts : 5738

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:27 am

i agree... to many. maybe you could give someone with lots of time the power.. like a mod... maybe they dont have time either though.

but i have patience to:)
Back to top Go down
Larissa
Mod
Larissa

Number of posts : 7591
Registration date : 2008-09-23

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:25 am

I think the Admin is the only one with the "power" to change the setup, but it's not fair to leave it all up to her (especially as her schedule is full!)

How about we put suggestions here as to what categories people want merged/created?
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Sr. Mod
Rachel

Number of posts : 7440

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 am

I'm not particularly bothered either way, but I would say to me the obvious ones to be merged would be: Fun & Games and Pictures (as to be honest, Pictures generally just leads to chatting anyway), and Dig Deeper and Edification (I'm never quite sure of the point of Edification/how it differs from Dig Deeper, so I don't tend to post there....).
Back to top Go down
Larissa
Mod
Larissa

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:40 am

Pictures is a "members only" section, so that'll need to stay separate so that non-members can't see the photos...

I see what you mean about the Edification and Dig Deeper section... DD was added as a new section after everything else, as a place for serious conversations that weren't quite debates. Edification is more about spiritual topics that don't have to be serious... but I think they could merge.

I think that "help" and "general discussion" can probably merge, especially as the "help" section is hardly used.

I guess one thing to remember is that there are the "Meet Your Mod" sections, which can't really be merged into anything else, but there's rarely new posts to check in them. Unless people wanted all the topics (one per mod) to be in one "Meet Your Mod" section, perhaps in the "Admin's Desk" part??
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Sr. Mod
Rachel

Number of posts : 7440

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 am

Oh, I didn't realise that! That's a good idea to keep it members only. Smile

Otherwise, the changes you suggest sound good. Help practically does merge into general discussion, and all the 'meet your mods' bits seem to have done their duty seeing as we know who the mods are. I like the idea of having a more light-hearted 'general discussion' and a more serious 'dig deeper', rather than four separate sections covering all that.
Back to top Go down
Larissa
Mod
Larissa

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:45 am

EnglishRose wrote:
and all the 'meet your mods' bits seem to have done their duty seeing as we know who the mods are.

True, but I think we should keep them so that new members can also get to know them, but they could easily go together, just the title of each thread would have to say which section each mod moderates
Back to top Go down
Musicgirl...

Musicgirl...

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-10-11

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 am

In the Admin's Desk, you could just merge the Anouncements, RE the Forum, and FAQs since there aren't that many posts in those, generally speaking. Maybe the Admin's Desk could look something like:

Admin's Desk
1. Announcements, Suggestions, and FAQs
2. Meet the Administration and Moderators
a. One topic per administrator and moderator that notes who they are and what they do

I'm still thinking about other possibilities, but haven't figured anything out yet...
Back to top Go down

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:00 am

Sparkling4Him wrote:
Pictures is a "members only" section, so that'll need to stay separate so that non-members can't see the photos...

Wow, didn't know that!
Back to top Go down

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah, we were trying to keep you guys from being stalked. Safety online is mildly important (said tongue-in-cheek)

I agree about the mod sections. I have a plan for condensing and moving those. I just want to do everything together, because people tend to have heart attacks when we change stuff.

I can put "help" in the General Discussion. I can't remember why we made 'help' anyway.

The rest of them, I just don't know what to do.

I think Love Stories needs to stay seperate.

Obviously the girls only and guys only need to stay seperate.

Hello & Goodbye should probably stay seperate.

Dig Deeper, Edification, Debate, Prayer Requests and Devotionals should all stay seperate. We tried combining Edification and Devotionals once and it was confusing. We combined Debate and Dig Deeper once and that was even more confusing.

so yeah... continue suggesting, and then we will come up with a new format and do it all at once.
Back to top Go down
krista

krista

Number of posts : 5738

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:39 pm

i really like musicgirls idea, and i think the birthday thing could maybe be combined with pictures and fun n games.

and i still dont really like the fact that topics dissappear after like a month. but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Lily Among Thorns

Number of posts : 1580
Registration date : 2008-09-25

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I think that Dig Deeper and Edification should be combined. Having them two sections is kind of confusing because I don't really understand the difference. I mean, digging deeper is edifying, right? Razz

I like how the pictures, fun & games, and birthday sections are now; even if the privacy thing wasn't an issue.
Back to top Go down
http://transformedgeneration.blogspot.com
BrittanyM

BrittanyM

Number of posts : 3120

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:36 pm

I agree with LAT... I think Dig Deeper and Edification should be combined... it doesn't make sense the way it is (at least not to me Razz).
Back to top Go down

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 pm

I can definitely see the logic behind combining Birthdays in with For Fun.

Oh, and Jessica should probably start a thread about what's going to happen in the transition somewhere where everyone will see it, because I don't know that everyone comes in here.
Back to top Go down
.:Linz:.
Mod
.:Linz:.

Number of posts : 2473
Registration date : 2008-09-29

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Is there a way to, say with Dig Deeper and Edification, have one category that says Edification, and then when you click on that, there is all the edification threads, but at the top, somewhere by the stickies, another sub-forum for Dig Deeper that has all of those threads?

Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifeoflinz.com
Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Number of posts : 6676

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 pm

A thought for mod threads - could you just make them a sticky within the mod's forum(s)?
Back to top Go down
Lily Among Thorns

Number of posts : 1580
Registration date : 2008-09-25

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Linz wrote:
Is there a way to, say with Dig Deeper and Edification, have one category that says Edification, and then when you click on that, there is all the edification threads, but at the top, somewhere by the stickies, another sub-forum for Dig Deeper that has all of those threads?

Does that make sense?

See to me that is more confusing. To me the dig deeper and edification topics are very similar...so why can't they just go together?
Back to top Go down
http://transformedgeneration.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

So Many Categories Empty
PostSubject: Re: So Many Categories   So Many Categories Empty

Back to top Go down

So Many Categories
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
At the Feet of the King :: The Admin's Desk :: Regarding the forum-
Jump to: